History

The Animal Welfare Society Stellenbosch was founded in 1956 with the donation of a van and the support of the Stellenbosch Animal Hospital veterinary practice. The AWS Stellenbosch is an autonomous and independent body, registered in terms of the Non-Profit Organisations Act. It has been functioning in its present format since 1991 and is the only organisation of its kind that is operational in the municipal area and magisterial district of Stellenbosch. 1992 the Municipality provided land and built the original 16 kennels and cattery with 16 runs. A couple of years later another 5 kennels were added.

2 prefabricated buildings were added as a kitchen and an office. 1996 to 2003: – Additional cattery with 8 runs & new fenced areas for dogs for daily exercise and outside puppy camps 2004 to 2006: – Addition of Sterilisation Clinic and office; April 2006: as a vote of confidence the Municipality trebled our site area and renewed our lease.

2006 to present: – Addition of paddocks for dogs; Employment of vet and starting with consultations and treatments; Moving office into house on premises and upgrading of facilities; Beginning of the Kyamandi mobile clinic, farm workers project and sterilisation campaigns, plus the addition of quarantine kennels thanks to our sponsors.